Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Official Quit Day

Today is Thursday, August 30th ... my first complete day with no cigarettes!!!!! It's 9pm and Im doing just fine. Pretty uneventful actually. I have had a couple of moments today when I thought about smoking... but, I think it's just because I've been home for a few hours by myself and, in the not so distant past, this is the time when I did most of my smoking. It is not unusual for me to make it through the day without a cigarette ~ but, I would make up for it between the hours of 6pm and whenever I ended up falling asleep. It feels really wierd to not be DYING for a smoke. I know I keep saying that... but honestly, I am pretty amazed at how little I think about smoking ~ Really!
The biggest craving comes after a meal and even then it passes in a mater of minutes (maybe even seconds). Also, I have been working on not eating until I am FULL in an attempt to bypass that urge to relieve the fullness wih a smoke. It seems to help. For dinner I made a spinach salad with apples, raisens, and sliced almonds... I was content after eating it... but not STUFFED. I also went to the grocery store today and stocked up on fruit (dried and fresh), raw almonds, herbal tea, hummus, etc... healthy snacks to sustain me between the small meals.
It's pretty amazing how changing one aspect of your life for the better starts to affect the other aspects of your life. Deciding to quit smoking has lead me to focus on eating healthier, working out harder, and I haven't had an adult beverage in over a week. It's seems like the healthy lifestyle I am attempting to gain in not smoking, has bled through to other areas of my health. Yeah! Another thing to be excited about :)
This weekend will be interesting... Girls Night Out is in the making ~ Hollywood bar scene, cocktails, and patios reserved for smokers ... not to mention all of my girlfriends smoke... Argh!
I can do this though ~ I know it!

2 comments:

maggie said...

Good for you!! Adding some healthier snacks is a great idea, and I do feel like wanting to do a bit better taking care of me now that I'm done poisoning myself. Have fun with the girls, but give yourself all the space you need - that's a tough situation that some can do early on and that I haven't had to do yet, but going into it prepared helps. Congrats again on your first day - now you know for sure that you can make it an entire day, and one day at a time, you can do this as long as you want. Cool!

Tim said...

Congrats Lisa. 8/30 was my first day too. Well, kind of, but thats a long story. Good luck, and be careful of the booze! It got me already!

marlboroaddiction.blogspot.com