Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In the beginning

Today begins my decision to quit smoking (again)... I am hopeful that this will be a more successful attempt than last time. I actually quit about 5 years ago using the nicotine patch. I did pretty good on it... until I started smoking only at work (cocktailing). But, all in all ~ I didn't feel that I returned FULLY to the habit. Then I met a guy... one who DETESTED smokers. He told me that if when he met me (and I smoked) he would have never asked me out ~ major deal breaker. Well... I really dug him, so I decided to quit entirely. It wasn't that difficult, especially after we moved in together. I admit ONCE in a blue moon I would sneak one if out with a girlfriend over cocktails. But, more or less, I didn't consider myself a "smoker" for about two years. (Totally lied to myself, right?)
So cut to the time when things began falling apart between the guy and I (me?... I should know this) Anyway... like an auto-relfex, I went right back to smoking. And not just one or two when feeling stressed. I was a basket case and jumped right into a pack a day... maybe more. Ugh!
When I moved to Los Angeles, I told myself I had 6 months to get this return -to -smoking out of my system. Well, that turned into a year... then two. And here I am a little over two years later and still smoking! I dont smoke as much as I used to ... but, then again, some days more than others.
About 6 months ago, I spoke with my doctor about my options in quitting smoking aides... she suggested CHANTIX. She wrote the Rx in Feb and it has taken me this long to decide to go for it. I had the Rx filled yesterday and began the starter pack today. The idea behind CHANTIX is it dulls the nicotine pleasure receptors in your brain... so, even if you have a cigarette, supposedly it begins to taste like shit and eventually you decide to just not indulge at all. AWESOME!
The first week on this medication is a period where you can still smoke ~ you begin taking the med, set a "quit" day, and you can smoke up until that quit day, which should be 8 days after starting the med. SOOOO... today is my day 1 of taking CHANTIX. I have smoked about 6 cigarettes today ... more than typically ~ but, I had dinner and bloody mary's with a friend (alchohol ='s trigger). My quit day is set for Thursday August 30...
I am looking forward to being a non-smoker. I want it for my lungs, my heart, my wrinkles, my nieces and nephew, my future babies...etc, etc.... there are hundreds of reasons to quit and zero reasons not to... so, here goes!
Wish me luck

3 comments:

Konstantin said...

Hey, neighbor! Looking forward to see you counting those ciggies NOT smoked! :)

We should have an LA reunion, once you quit! :D Celebrate non-smoking life, you know?!

Ok, no more failed relationship excuses to light up....no more excuses of any kind. You are doing it one more time, for you and your health and your future. No more time wasted on smoking!

Maybe Im Amazed said...

Hey... a fellow Los Angelian (?) is that a term?
A celebratory reunion would be excellent :)
Anyway... thanks for your support Stan... It means so much and even though its only day two... I know these forums are going to be a big part of my quitting!

maggie said...

Good for you, Lisa! Along with great folks like Stan and lots and lots of others, I've been blogging my way through the Chantix experience, and it has been way easier than other times I've quit.

Like you, I've had success in the past (quit over a year), but I wound up back to smoking. Still, all of that experience let me know what to expect and most of all, that I *can* do this. You can, too!

Now I'm actually just about to go off Chantix since it's been 11 weeks already (well, it's Chantix Day 79 and Smoke-free Day 67, so I quit on Chantix Day 13).

Anyway, I wish you all the best, and I'll be reading along.