Sunday, December 16, 2007

Argh!

Last night I went to a friend of a friend's 30th birthday party. To celebrate we were all asked to come in apparel ~ flashback ~ 1977. Hollywood hills, open bar, DJ, and disco ball... we danced, drank and had a great time. About 3 vodka tonics into my night... I decided I would probably smoke ~ and I felt OK with it. I had (somewhat) decided that the night was going to be a night of debauchery, one in which smoking would likely be a part of. One last 2007 "hoo-rah" ...
I found myself outside a number of times... watching my fellow smokers as they gathered around the fire pit or huddled near the heating lamps ~ sucking on their Parliments. I watched them with jealousy. Because, although I had decided that I would be joining them a few moments earlier, I just couldn't bring myself to do so.
And, do not be mistaken... I wanted to. I was taking it all in ~ the smell, the way they all looked, the social-connectedness between them. The fabulously thin, pretty, young Hollywood types ~ all playing the part of 1970's - Studio 54- disco queens, to a Tee.
I wanted to join in on their presumable ignorance... but, I couldn't. I just couldn't make the move. I could not, for some reason, bring myself to ask for one. WIERD!
And ~ THANK GAWD!
I woke up this am (head-achey, puffy, and dehydrated) and was soooooooooooooo thankful that I was not tasting the reminents of a Parliment light on my breath! WHEW!
Not sure what exactly kept me from caving in... especially since I had given myself permission to do so. But I am really happy that I didn't!

1970's Cigarette ad... sheeeez!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

maggie said...

Lisa, you are my hero. Anytime I've been in a similar situation on past quits, I've smoked. In fact, back in October, it went that way when I blogged about my oops. I'm thrilled for you and for the idea that someday I'll be able to pull it off, too. For now, I've just tried to avoid situations where I'm pretty sure I'll cave in.

Wow, I remember Eve cigarettes - funny how pretty outside the package is while they make everything else look just as not so pretty.

Homestead Blogging said...

Good for you! I think that you are in a stronger place than I am. I'm not sure that I could have done as well. I was successful at not smoking though when my son and his wife were here. She and I were kind of smoking buddies when they lived here. They stayed a week and I stayed smoke free.

Keep it up, you're doing awesome!

Mz Diva said...

"You've come a long way baby...." Oh that was a Virginia Slims ad but really meaningful in this context. Its amazing you decided not to smoke when you pretty much gave yourself the go-ahaead. Maybe you've outgrown smoking! I hope I will at some point.
Keep up the struggle,
Diva